Theresa M. Mihalik
Theresa Mihalik has been recognized by the Washingtonian Magazine as one of the Washington D.C. area’s top family law practitioners, has been named by Super Lawyers as one of the top 50 Women Lawyers in Washington D.C., and has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America. She has represented clients in all aspects of family and domestic relations law in the courts of Virginia and the District of Columbia for more than twenty-five years.
Ms. Mihalik has extensive litigation experience, but still believes strongly that the best resolution to a domestic relations matter is a negotiated settlement that allows the parties to craft creative resolutions. As such, she has been trained as a Collaborative attorney, and as has represented clients in the Collaborative Process with success. Ms. Mihalik served as a founding Board Member for the District of Columbia Association of Collaborative Professionals (DCACP) and has lectured on The Basics of Divorce Law for Non-Lawyers for the Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia (CPNV), as well as the DCACP. In addition to being a trained mediator, a large portion of her practice includes drafting and negotiating prenuptial and cohabitation agreements. Ms. Mihalik has been called the “Princess of Pre-Nups” for her extensive experience in crafting pre-marital agreements.
Ms. Mihalik is currently serving as an adjunct professor in Family Law at Georgetown Law School. She previously taught at the Catholic University of America’s Columbus School of Law, and has served on multiple family law committees. In 1995, she was elected to the D.C. Bar Association’s Family Law Steering Committee, and served in the capacity of Co-Chair of the Committee. During her tenure as Co-Chair, the D.C. Bar Family Law Section was awarded the Frederick B. Abramson Award for its partnership in the D.C. Bar PSAC Advice and Referral Clinic, which provides pro bono services to clients who are unable to afford legal representation.
She has served as a faculty member for the D.C. Bar’s Uncontested Divorce Pro Se Clinic and as a mentor for the Advice and Referral Clinic. In addition to her community service work in the legal community, Ms. Mihalik is a volunteer in the Georgetown University Hospital Breast Cancer Mentor Program. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Mihalik served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Rufus G. King, III, of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia
Admitted to Practice
- Virginia, 1989
- District of Columbia, 1988
- Pennsylvania, 1987
- Georgetown University Law Center, Certificate, Employee Benefits Laws, 2006
- Catholic University of America, J.D., 1987
- University of Scranton, B.A., magna cum laude, 1984
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Rufus G. King, III, Superior Court of the District of Columbia, 1987–1989
- District of Columbia Bar, member
- Family Law Section Program Chair and Treasurer, former Steering Committee at-large Co-Chair, 1996–1998
- Virginia State Bar, member,
- Family Law Section
- American Bar Association, member
- Section of Family Law
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- D.C. Academy of Collaborative Professionals (DCACP)
- Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia (CPNV)
- Thurgood Marshall American Inn of Court, 1989–1993
- Selected by Washingtonian Magazine as one of the Washington, D.C. area’s top lawyers
- Named as one of the top fifty female lawyers in Washington, D.C. by Super Lawyers
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America
- Frederick B. Abramson Award to D.C. Bar Family Law Section for its partnership in the D.C. Bar PSAC Advice and Referral Clinic during Ms. Mihalik’s tenure as Co-Chair
- D.C. Bar PSAC Advice and Referral Clinic, mentor
- Georgetown University Hospital Breast Cancer Mentor Program
Serving family law clients in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area Kuder, Smollar, Friedman & Mihalik, PC provides comprehensive family law services to clients in the District of Columbia, Prince George's and Montgomery counties in Maryland, and Fairfax, Arlington and Alexandria counties in Virginia. Call us today at (202) 331-7522 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys to discuss your concerns.