Susan M. Friedman
Susan Friedman was named one of Washington’s “Top Forty” divorce lawyers by Washingtonian Magazine and one of D.C.'s top fifty female lawyers by Super Lawyers.
Having practiced family law for thirty years, she continues to be recognized as a professional counselor and advocate for clients with intricate family law matters in the District of Columbia and Maryland. Ms. Friedman has developed extensive experience in representing employees, and the spouses of employees of international organizations, including The World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. She has been counsel of record in matters before both the International Tribunal of the IMF and the World Bank. Recently, Ms. Friedman successfully represented a spouse in a matter before the Court of Appeals of Maryland, leading to an explication of the law which will benefit employees, their spouses and families.
Ms. Friedman presently serves as an Alternative Dispute Facilitator for the Superior Court of the District of Columbia’s Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) program. Ms. Friedman is also a trained mediator.
Ms. Friedman has served as an instructor in the Nuts and Bolts of Divorce, Continuing Legal Education Course, Georgetown University Law Center, and as a delegate to the District of Columbia Judicial Conference.
Ms. Friedman is a former special education teacher who chose law as a second career. She currently volunteers for the Montgomery County Commission for Women and responds to telephone inquiries regarding divorce and custodymatters. She also serves as a mentor for the D.C. Bar PSAC Advice and Referral Clinic.
Ms. Friedman enjoys spending time outdoors, hiking and swimming and is a regular theatre-goer. She is also learning to play bridge.
Admitted to Practice
- Maryland, 1982
- District of Columbia, 1983
- Georgetown University, J.D.,1982
- George Washington University, M.A.,1968
- City University of New York, Brooklyn College, B.A., 1963
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Family Law Section, member
- District of Columbia Bar
- Family Law Section, member
- Maryland State Bar Association, Inc.
- Woman’s Bar Association of District of Columbia
- Woman’s Bar Association of Montgomery County
- Woman’s Bar Association of Maryland
- Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- 2001–2002 President of D.C. Chapter
- Member of Fundraising Board of Make the Road by Walking (a not-for-profit, membership-led community organization based in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, NY)
- Named on of the top fifty female lawyers in Washington, D.C. by Super Lawyers.
- Named one of Washington’s “Top Forty” divorce lawyers
- Named one of Washington’s "Super Lawyers"
- Named one of Washington's "Best Lawyers"
- Montgomery County Commission for Women — responds to telephone inquiries regarding divorce and custody matters
- D.C. Bar PSAC Advice and Referral Clinic, mentor
- Volunteer Guide for the traveling "Choosing to Participate Exhibit," created by Facing History and Ourselves, a non-profit organization
Serving family law clients in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area Kuder, Smollar, Friedman & Mihalik, PC provides comprehensive family law services to clients in the District of Columbia, Prince George's and Montgomery counties in Maryland, and Fairfax, Arlington and Alexandria counties in Virginia. Call us today at (202) 331-7522 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys to discuss your concerns.