Marcia B.F. Kuntz
Marcia Kuntz has rejoined Kuder, Smollar, Friedman & Mihalik, PC, as of counsel, after years as a legislative counsel and committee staffer on Capitol Hill and as a legal advisor, editor, political strategist, and executive in the non-profit sector. In addition to her legal practice, Ms. Kuntz has taught Family Law as an adjunct professor at American University Washington College of Law and will do so again in the Spring 2018 semester.
Ms. Kuntz started her legal career as an associate at Arnold & Porter, and then moved to Kuder, Smollar, Friedman & Mihalik, PC. While at Kuder, Smollar, Friedman & Mihalik, PC, she also co-taught Sexual Orientation and the Law as an adjunct professor at Georgetown.
At Kuder, Smollar, Friedman & Mihalik, PC, she handled divorces, spousal support, property division, and child custody, wrote numerous briefs, and argued before the D.C. Court of Appeals. Her current practice again focuses in these areas and in LGBT family law issues.
On Capitol Hill – as legislative counsel to Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) and as Rep. Frank’s counsel on the Housing sub-committee of the House Committee on Banking and Financial Services – Ms. Kuntz worked to advance Rep. Frank’s priorities, which included the preservation and expansion of low income housing and the advancement of justice and equal rights for the LGBT community. As a result of her work on LGBT issues for Rep. Frank, Ms. Kuntz was given the 1999 Distinguished National Service Award from the Gay and Lesbian Attorneys of Washington and the 1999 National Service Award from the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network.
Ms. Kuntz has authored book chapters on legal issues of particular relevance to the LGBT community and on health care coverage. She has published numerous Op-eds, columns, and articles, both in her name and written on behalf of others.
Ms. Kuntz is a graduate of Princeton University and the University of Chicago Law School. She lives with her partner in Takoma Park.
Admitted to Practice
- Maryland, 2013
- District of Columbia, 1989
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1989
- Princeton University, A.B., 1984
- Chapter, “Legal Challenges of Divorce for Same-Sex Couples,” in Understanding the Legal Issues Surrounding Same Sex Marriage (Thomson Reuters/Aspatore 2013), co-author: Armin U. Kuder.
- Chapter, "Legal Rights of Lesbian Women," in Women's Legal Guide (Fulcrum 1996)
- Article, “Who Decides What Is Medically Necessary?” in Controversies in Managed Mental Health Care (APA Press 1996), co-author: Armin U. Kuder.
- District of Columbia Bar, member
- Family Law Section
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- National Lesbian and Gay Law Association